Saturday 23 February 2013

WIBTW (What I Bought This Week): Too old for Topshop?

I need to face facts. I'm over 30 and the shame of dancing next to a 16 year old girl in the same H&M floral dress as me at V Festival last Summer made me think perhaps it's time to grow up a little.

Part of me wants to shop on ASOS all day and buy bombers and beanies and crop tops... but I think it's time to leave that to the teens.

Plus anyway, I am now loving the labels I never really bought (or could afford) in my teens and twenties; COS, Reiss, Jigsaw, Whistles etc. And also picking up on alternatives to cheaper High Street brands. For example the uber-quirky Monki, which has a shop in Carnaby Street and is also stocked in Selfridges. The reasonable prices always surprise me and still not everyone knows about it. I love their take on fashion - check out the description online of the top I bought as pictured below: "It's all about the back with Ann - the chunky silver zip, and the elegantly shaped opening that allows curious admirers (and dogs with cold noses, bent on surprising someone) access to a bit of the small of your back."

So I am really trying nowadays to buy pieces with a little more longevity (obviously previous post on a Brian Lichtenberg sweat was just a blip in the new-found way of thinking...)

Here are this week's purchases, and not a neon beanie in sight...

COS top, £45

COS silk & knit cardigan, £55,  a great alternative to this season's bomber



Zara leopard coat, £89


Zara sheer check shirt, £25

Zara sweat with handy underlay, £25

Monki pink shell top, £25

Check out the nose hole for a dog!

ASOS burgundy chelsea boots, £50

No comments:

Post a Comment